Monday, August 29, 2011

My Tribute to Jack Layton

I was as shocked as anyone by the passing of Mr. Layton, just a week ago now. Not altogether surprised, but the fact is that he was still in the public eye, and now he's gone. What did I think of him? Not much to be perfectly honest. I have not been a supporter of the NDP in my adult life, but if a bunch of people say what a great man he was, I'll just have to take their word for it. Never met him, cannot vouch for him.

However, he did a tremendous job as leader of the federal NDP. It may be argued that their showing in the last election can be attributed to the decline of the Liberal Party and the implosion of the Bloc Quebecois, Mr. Layton was, nonetheless, the first NDP leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, and the first leader of the opposition to die while holding that office in recent memory (has anyone had that distinction since Sir Wilfrid Laurier?), so in my opinion, his state funeral was perfectly appropriate.

Last week I started poring through the comments in Yahoo! News as I usually do, and was shocked at the callousness of some of the commenters. They fell just short of spitting on his grave, calling him a communist and otherwise attacking his politics. I was naively hoping that they would cease the personal attacks until at least his body is in the ground. I tried to make the point in an article (which is gone now) that Layton does not deserve this kind of animosity, particularly since he just died. That kind of bile should be reserved for serial killers and dictators like Khdaffy. Layton never did anything to deserve the kind of cheap shots he's been getting in the comment sections.

However, I started poring through the right side of the political sphere, as is also my wont, and they were quick to point out some really tasteless stuff about Stephen Harper, mostly along the lines of 'why couldn't it be him instead of Layton?'. Harper has done everything right regarding Mr. Layton's passing, but that really isn't the point here. As far as evil commentary, that takes the edge of anything anyone said negatively about Layton. I seldom agree with Harper's politics, but I would not wish him a headache. It's only political difference, shame on you for wishing any ill towards Harper. You did not pay any heed to what Layton said in his final address, and sullying his memory worse than his enemies did. Keep things in their proper perspective, and get a life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate, O God, I hate a man who sneers!

Spawn of the snarling wolf is he
And when he sneers I always see
Not just the sneer but from his jaws
The sharp fangs and the drooling slime,
A yellow heart looks through mean eyes
That stare and blink ‘twixt flattened ears.
Few things I hate, few I despise
But God how I hate the man who sneers!

Danny Melvin | September 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm
| Thank you for that arnold. Was it you who wrote that?

Yes. I get very mad at time.
Like in those few lines on War

Beyond the mists of morning I can see
The flash and flare of guns! the belch of smoke
Where hords of men lie piled in mangled heaps
And all around are swarms of squealing rats
Which scurry past each rotted, bloating corpse
To sink their scissor teeth in fresher limbs.

Upon the wind of morning I can hear
The boom and crash of shells, the hum of planes
The rumble, clang and roar of massive tanks
The shuddering shrieks of disemboweled men
Who gather up their entrails with their hands
And scream to God for death until they die.

Arnold

Danny Melvin said...

Thanks again Arnold, although this time your verses are kind of morbid. Where do you get your inspiration from anyway?

dissertation writing said...

The post is pretty good. I really never thought I could have a good read by this time until I found out this forum. I am grateful for the information given.

Blog Archive