Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Canada, history fails us?

This article in the National Post about New Brunswick had started me thinking, wasn't Nova Scotia also dragged into Confederation kicking and screaming?  Aside from Ontario, isn't it true for the rest of them? (I won't even get started on the Natives). I learned in a history class at SMU that Nova Scotia was once an economic power house before confederation. It's hard to imagine, but I have little reason to doubt it. We were promised a bunch of stuff, like having our industries and institutions stay here in NS, and they were, for the most part, unkept. When did the Bank of Nova Scotia move its headquarters to Toronto anyway?

I had also learned that only one person in the NS legislature (Sir Charles Tupper), wanted to join Canada, the other sixty-something, including local legend Joseph Howe, fought against it. It was apparently to appease some higher interests, not for the benefit of the people living here. That was the way of the world back then (the Realist paradigm applies here). I wonder if that way of thinking still persists. Of course, there are endless conspiracy theories out there, some far removed from reality, others to fulfil some already biased viewpoints (9/11 'truthers' being one example).

In short, how bad would it be if we 'lost' Canada? If either Quebec or Alberta should decide to separate. In any case, it seems highly likely that Canada would be irretrievably changed if Stephen Harper were to attain a majority government, and I don't mean for the better. I envision a dismantling of democracy, if not a complete handover to corporate interests or even to the United States for economically weak regions like this one. I do not look forward to either option. If I ever want to become an American, I would move there, I do not want it moving here. To me, it would be the ultimate sellout for us.

No comments:

Blog Archive