Monday, March 28, 2011

On 'Hobo with a Shotgun'

On Friday, my birthday coincidentally, I was able to see the aforementioned movie on it's first official day. I felt the need to see it since it because it is supposedly a hit on the independent cinema circuit, and was shot mostly in my hometown of Dartmouth by a Dartmouth native. I could recognized a few places, but I think that I could have waited to see it. It did not live up to my expectations. I think that it lacked the camp factor that such movies require.

I didn't mind the gory scenes so much (the guy who played Julian on 'Trailer Park Boys' is among the first people to get dispatched by the movie's villain, and later George Stroumboulopoulos plays a newsman who get it as well), perhaps it had too many bad lines (don't know if it was deliberate). It was refreshing in a way, particularly since Hollywood has all but given up trying anything new ever again. I can't even blame Hollywood for it, it's the audiences who suck the big one. People who pay $11.50 to see the repetitive schlock they are putting out and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future, even though they now show commercials and PSAs before the coming attractions. I think the last movie I saw before this one was 'Avatar' and was rather disappointed by it. Sigh, bad cinema ain't what it used to be.

Here is a link to a list of movies that I think are worth a good long look at.

No comments:

Blog Archive