Monday, December 01, 2008

Could you use some good news?

I remember hearing in Mr. Burton's science class back in 1985 about the Amazon rain forest, and how much was getting cut down every second. I can't remember the exact number, but I'm pretty sure that he said that it was relatively untouched (or perhaps not clearcut) until the 20th century. At the end of the '80s, I heard that it was something like 'a football field every second'. Does anyone remember that?

Now from the BBC, the Brazilian government is proposing a seventy (70!) percent cut in deforestation over the next ten years, of course some other countries are going to have to give Brazil some financial support for this plan. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, since the plan has not been put into practice yet, and it is also a question if other countries can afford to chip in to the effort. But I cannot help to think that this is anything but good news. I dare anyone to tell me otherwise.

1 comment:

John M said...

Hi Danny,

Much enjoyed the party tonight. Won't need to (and shouldn't) eat for the rest of the week.

Cheers, John

Blog Archive