Sunday, September 03, 2006

My Vacation Is Over

As most of you probably know by now, Elizabeth May is the new leader of the federal Green Party. Congratulations Ms. May, you'll certainly raise the party's profile.

Apparently, the situation in Afghanistan is not improving significantly. Canadian soldiers are still making mistakes, and it's the biggest supplier in the world of opium. As much as I agreed with the invasion and occupation in the beginning, I think that we have to be realistic as to what we can accomplish and how much difference can be made. The coalition should decide on a 'best we can do' scenario before they leave, or if we make too many mistakes, then we should consider leaving anyway because our forces may not be able to make things better.

According to some, the U.S. is on the verge of war with Iran. However rotten the Iranian regime is, there are some convincing arguments against it. Some look at it in terms of global interest, I try to look at it from the American interest, and I really don't think that it is. The current situation in Iraq is draining all of their resources, try adding together all of the difficulties of occupying Iraq and Afghanistan, and you have Iran. I really don't think that they're up to it, the Americans will kill themselves first, and I will be sorry when they do.

Even so, something smells rotten about that softwood deal that Harper is trying to get through. At first, I felt a slight sense of relief, because like many people, I was tired of hearing about it, but if this is the ultimate sellout as people say, and the proceeds go directly into GOP coffers, then we need to stuff this deal and this government. Perhaps it is not as bad as some say it is, but if the main facts in that article in Tyee.com are true, I'll stand by my former statement.

2 comments:

True said...

I'm with you on the whole we should not be contributing troops to police the heroin in Afghanistan. This war on terror, CNN's 'Raman on Annan in Tehran, Iran', and the whole business of profiteering from and exploiting other people's suffering makes me sick. It makes the whole planet sick. And has anyone paused to consider in what mental condition our troops will be in after they return from Afghanistan. War is not pretty. Read my blog EVERYTHING TRUE and subscribe to my feeds please :-)

Looney Canuck said...

I definitely agree that we should not be helping the drug trade in Afghanistan, but I haven't given up on the mission yet. I like to think that we are still making a difference and hopefully prevent it from becoming another banana republic. To clarify my point, the moment when we stop making a positive difference is a good time to leave. Our forces have made some mistakes, and some have been made against us, but I think that we should wait in both cases for all of the facts to come in before we assign blame on any particular people.

Blog Archive