Friday, May 19, 2006

'da Code

Have you noticed the increasing relevance of 'pop lit' lately? When I'm on the bus or even on the street (I think that I recently noticed someone crossing a busy street while reading it), I see people with their nose in a copy of that novel that's been creating such a stir lately. I may have mentioned this before, but my nature is to go against the grain of pop culture in general. I have a near phobia of doing some things just because 'everybody else is doing it.' I heard somewhere that life is too short to be reading good books, that instead, we should be reading great books. And that is the advice I have heeded most of my life, although I do partake in 'genre' reading on occasion, such as the occasional Stephen King horror novel. Other than that, I like novels where I'm seriously getting something out of it. Since I finished school, I have resumed reading 'Don Quixote', yet there are still some books, from my association with Bookcrossing.com (see My Bookshelf in the sidebar), which I haven't started yet. I'm behind in my reading as it is.

Having said that, I have no intention of wasting any time or money on the book, 'The Da Vinci Code'. If it was any good, I may have eventually had a look at it, but according to someone on Slate, it is just so much pop fluff, and the soon-to-be released film by Ron Howard is even more so. It's all you can do just to get me into a movie theatre in the first place. A movie would have to be REALLY good for me to throw away $20 on a ticket and refreshments, and it will be interesting to see how many people waste their own time and money on this.

For a couple more perspectives on the da Vinci Code 'phenomenon', here's one from someone who's afraid that it will lead to widespread misinformation about the Catholic Church and Christianity in general, and another who simply says 'Relax, It's Just Fiction'. I think that I'm more with the latter argument, because the hype will die down, as it always does, and the book and novel will end up in the dustbin of the history of fads.

No comments:

Blog Archive