Monday, January 23, 2006

Predictions?

It's fairly certain that the Conservatives are going to win the election, even though many of the people who vote for them are not fans of Harper. So what now? Any ideas as to what he's going to do once he gets into power? I would particularly like to hear from people who like Harper, and see how close the predictions are.

I remember when Brian Mulroney swept into power in 1984, and within a year or so, his government was racked with scandals. I don't remember if they promised to clean up the corruption that was there before, but haven't we seen this time and again in every democracy in recent years. One party promises to clean up the rampant abuses of the previous government, and ends up becoming more corrupt. I think that most of the people who are voting are not voting for anyone, just against the Liberals. Understandable though that is, there should be more options (at the risk of repeating what I've been harping [what DOES that mean anyway?] on about. I prefer not to think realistically, and think that there is some kind of dark-horse party that will come soon and break the two-party monopoly (duopoly?) that we have had since Confederation.

What I predict, is another bad, possibly worse government. If they get a minority, they will repeat the same mistake of the Clark administration, run a minority like a majority. It seems more in recent years that politicians promise to do one thing while planning to do the opposite once they're elected. Here in Canada, Trudeau did that frequently, and I don't know if he's been outdone in that respect, but more recent governments have come close. I predict that the Harper government will perfect this black art, starting with his slogan "Stand Up For Canada". It's one thing to do really stupid things to try to satisfy Quebec and end up pushing them further away from us, it's quite another thing to hand Canada over to the U.S. on a silver platter. Those are my three predictions for the new government. If anyone else wants to add their own predictions, please feel free, but don't try to hedge your bets afterward, I will save those posts. I save just about everything.

Que sera sera.

No comments:

Blog Archive