Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A Glowing Endorsement

On Saturday, I went canvassing for the first time since I was a kid doing charity work for school. But this wasn't a charity, although some people may say it is. I went around knocking on doors for the Green Party, with the lady who is running in my riding. We only knocked once, and if there was a door handle, we placed a flyer in there. Most of those who did answer were nice enough, even when they weren't interested.

Funny thing though, me and another member of the Greens ended up at around the Salvation Army place, where I voted in the last election in the advance poll. It appeared to be open, but I wasn't sure because it was Saturday. Fortunately, it was, so I cast my ballot then, and I won't have to take time out of my busy schedule on Monday. And I can tell you that there are five people running in my riding of Dartmouth-Cole Harbour. The Marxist-Leninists are still on the ticket, but the Progressive Canadian Party isn't there this time. They'll be missed, I'm sure.

I heard that there were some advance polling stations that had record turnouts. Maybe because of the record high temperatures in some places, particularly here in Nova Scotia, where we seemed to be having more days that feel more like early spring, and people didn't want to take the chance that there would be a snowstorm on Monday; or maybe people are getting over the fact and just accepting that the election was going to be in the middle of winter. It'll be interesting, but possibly depressing, to see how many people will bother to vote this time.

The more I think about it though, the more I dread the possibility of a Conservative majority, as much as I believe that the Liberals desperately need to be put out to pasture. I believe that our best hope is a strong Conservative minority, or a slight majority. Maybe I'm listening too much to those doomsday scenarios, but I do tend to believe that Harper, given half a chance with a strong majority, would ultimately Americanize Canada. And I have stated repeatedly in the past, I am not Ameriphobic, but I rather like our way of doing things, as flawed as they are. So my advice for you who do not feel comfortable voting for the NDP or the Tories, just vote Green, even though there is little chance of anyone getting elected, it beats the hell out of any option that Buzz Hargrove could give.

2 comments:

CuriosityKilledTheCat said...

The Conversion of Stephen Harper:

To change from voting Liberal to voting Conservative on Monday would mean accepting that Stephen Harper had undergone a conversion from the rightwing Saul of Canadian politics, to the middle-of-the-road Paul. Voters asked to believe this conversion need to satisfy themselves that the Harper who stood in front of a gathering of neocons in the USA in 1997 and lauded them as examples to be followed, praised their philosophy, denigrated Maritimers, decried Canada as a welfare state not to be emulated, has, in the course of the past 18 months, suddenly seen the light, and changed.

How credible is this Harper conversion? Well, let the man speak for himself: he said he has become more realistic, but his fundamental beliefs have not changed. Oh, and his comments were really in jest.

If so, how much stock can a voter place today on his program, on his statements that there will not be serious cuts, that he will not introduce legislation to take away rights entrenched by the Supreme Court? What assurance does a voter have that Harper will not turn around in six months time and tell the country: Sorry, folks ? I was only joking when I said those things ....

Sorry, Mr Harper, I for one do not believe a leopard can change its spots. Not even a very smart leopard. But I do believe a leopard just might dress up in sheep?s clothing ...

Anonymous said...

It's getting too late to effectively try to use the "Hidden Agenda" scare tactic as in the last election. Reasons outlined here:

Hidden Agenda A Non-Factor

Blog Archive