Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The Top 100 from 1988...

One of the latest memes (thanks to ... and Daimnation)concerns a subject I feel passionately about. Music, or more accurately, what I see is a steady decline in quality since the 1980s. I started following the pop charts in 1983, but started losing interest in 1986, and stopped completely in 1987, and never followed them since. I was starting to get into 1960's music (yeah, I know, it was dumb, the '70s were the peak of musical creativity and output). Anyway, there were a few songs that I actually liked at the time I graduated in 1988. Let's see how few...
    1. Faith, George Michael 2. Need You Tonight, INXS 3. Got My Mind Set On You, George Harrison 4. Never Gonna Give You Up, Rick Astley (Never liked the song, or the singer. Would usually leave the dance floor when one of his songs played.) 5. Sweet Child O' Mine, Guns N' Roses 6. So Emotional, Whitney Houston (She was on a roll up till then) 7. Heaven Is A Place On Earth, Belinda Carlisle (Silly song, but always liked her) 8. Could've Been, Tiffany (It's amazing what they could do with someone whose actual musical talent is less than zero, only song of hers I like) 9. Hands To Heaven, Breathe (Never liked them, sounds too much like...well...) 10. Roll With It, Steve Winwood 11. One More Try, George Michael 12. Wishing Well, Terence Trent d'Arby 13. Anything For You, Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine (Liked them at first, but they came to exemplify everything cheesy about pop music with their mushy, saccharine love songs) 14. The Flame, Cheap Trick 15. Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car, Billy Ocean 16. Seasons Change, Expose(Haunting, appropriately for me at the time, about change) 17. Is This Love, Whitesnake 18. Wild, Wild West, Escape Club (Hated the band's name, but grew to like the song, even if the song is silly) 19. Pour Some Sugar On Me, Def Leppard (This song helped me to change my natural dislike for heavy metal, even people who HATE heavy metal MUST like this song, or be tone deaf) 20. I'll Always Love You, Taylor Dayne (Always liked her style) 21. Man In The Mirror, Michael Jackson (liked the song, liked the video, brings a tear to your eye) 22. Shake Your Love, Debbie Gibson (I believe that she could play, but believed way too much in her songwriting ability, can't recall a song from her I actually like) 23. Simply Irresistible, Robert Palmer 24. Hold On To The Nights, Richard Marx (Marx was hit or miss for me, this was a miss) 25. Hungry Eyes, Eric Carmen 26. Shattered Dreams, Johnny Hates Jazz 27. Father Figure, George Michael 28. Naughty Girls (Need Love Too), Samantha Fox 29. A Groovy Kind Of Love, Phil Collins (Didn't care for it at first, but it grew on me) 30. Love Bites, Def Leppard (Still thought at the time that metal ballads were an oxymoron) 31. Endless Summer Nights, Richard Marx (A hit) 32. Foolish Beat, Debbie Gibson (Teenage fluff about a broken heart, been done better) 33. Where Do Broken Hearts Go, Whitney Houston 34. Angel, Aerosmith 35. Hazy Shade Of Winter, Bangles (Otherwise, I liked them) 36. The Way You Make Me Feel, Michael Jackson (One of his better ones) 37. Don't Worry, Be Happy, Bobby McFerrin (I still like it, even if McFerrin doesn't) 38. Make Me Lose Control, Eric Carmen 39. Red Red Wine, UB40 (No way was this made in 1988) 40. She's Like The Wind, Patric Swayze 41. Bad Medicine, Bon Jovi 42. Kokomo, Beach Boys 43. I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That, Elton John (He's done better) 44. Together Forever, Rick Astley 45. Monkey, George Michael 46. Devil Inside, INXS 47. Should've Known Better, Richard Marx 48. I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love, Chicago (They must rue the day that they started recording songs written by Diane Warren) 49. The Loco-Motion, Kylie Minogue 50. What Have I Done To Deserve This?, Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield 51. Make It Real, Jets 52. What's On Your Mind, Information Society 53. Tell It To My Heart, Taylor Dayne 54. Out Of The Blue, Debbie Gibson 55. Don't You Want Me, Jody Watley 56. Desire, U2 (Like Richard Marx, hit or miss for me) 57. I Get Weak, Belinda Carlisle (Too sentimental) 58. Sign Your Name, Terence Trent d'Arby 59. I Want To Be Your Man, Roger (Like nails on a chalkboard, like Rick Astley, would leave the dance floor when he played) 60. Girlfriend, Pebbles 61. Dirty Diana, Michael Jackson (Never understood why anyone liked it) 62. 1-2-3, Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine 63. Mercedes Boy, Pebbles 64. Perfect World, Huey Lewis and the News (once great, now mediocre) 65. New Sensation, INXS 66. Catch Me (I'm Falling), Pretty Poison 67. If It Isn't Love, New Edition 68. Rocket 2 U, Jets (Nice beat, but lyrics were too inane. So you can "Rock it to me", is that really ALL you can do?) 69. One Good Woman, Peter Cetera 70. Don't Be Cruel, Cheap Trick (When you start covering Elvis, you're really in decline) 71. Candle In The Wind, Elton John (Liked the "Live in Australia" version better than the original studio recording) 72. Everything Your Heart Desires, Daryl Hall and John Oates 73. Say You Will , Foreigner (becoming repetitive at this point) 74. I Want Her, Keith Sweat 75. Pink Cadillac, Natalie Cole (Silly song, but liked it nonetheless) 76. Fast Car, Tracy Chapman 77. Electric Blue, Icehouse 78. The Valley Road, Bruce Hornsby and The Range 79. Don't Be Cruel, Bobby Brown 80. Always On My Mind, Pet Shop Boys (Lame version of great Willie Nelson song) 81. Piano In The Dark, Brenda Russell Featuring Joe Esposito 82. When It's Love, Van Halen 83. Don't Shed A Tear, Paul Carrack 84. We'll Be Together, Sting 85. I Hate Myself For Loving You, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts 86. I Don't Want To Live Without You, Foreigner 87. Nite And Day, Al B. Sure 88. Don't You Know What The Night Can Do, Steve Winwood 89. One Moment In Time, Whitney Houston 90. Can't Stay Away From You, Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine 91. Kissing A Fool, George Michael 92. Cherry Bomb, John Cougar Mellancamp 93. I Still Believe, Brenda K. Starr 94. I Found Someone, Cher 95. Never Tear Us Apart, INXS 96. Valerie, Steve Windwood (like "Red, Red, Wine", must be a misprint) 97. Just Like Paradise, David Lee Roth 98. Nothin' But A Good Time, Poison 99. Wait, White Lion 100. Prove Your Love, Taylor Dayne
I seemed to like more of them than I thought, but I still maintain that pop music is still in a downward spiral, or maybe I'm just getting old.

1 comment:

Withoutwings from bookcrossing said...

I was only 8 when these songs came out - I know almost all of them though. I was more into new wave :)
Thanks for the Jim Morrison book.

Blog Archive