Monday, April 25, 2005

To My American Friends

Check out this link that the Truth Laid Bear has on his site. I took him for a pro-Bush conservative, but apparently he doesn't like Dubya's Social Security Privatization Plan. The video that goes with it is fairly amusing, if you like JibJab.


Back here

Here is a fascinating statement highlighted by Timmy the G. And he seems to give a balanced, informed commentary. Quite a scoop, Timmy.

If you've checked my (or several other people's) sidebars recently, you see that I've joined James Bow's Blogging Alliance of Non-Partisan Canadians. It's something that I'm proud to be part of, but no one should think that we don't stand for anything. Speaking for myself, I have firm convictions, both political and moral. Also, I want to make a point of putting blogs on my sidebar that have both sides of the aisle linked. If I have anyone on my sidebar who is totally biased one way or the other, I will have a word with them, and consider cutting them out of my blogroll. Auf'viedersein.

2 comments:

The Tiger said...

About the Bush ad, and where the N.Z. Bear may stand on it -- really, a lot of the people who voted for Bush don't agree with him on a number of issues. If it were an election on domestic politics, we'd probably have a President Kerry right now. (Or a President Dean.)

Where we like Bush is foreign policy. (And this is pretty funny, given that he came to office vowing to pull American forces back from the world. That was before 9/11.)

Don't know where the bear stands on all that social security stuff -- he might just have thought it was funny.

Anyway, I like Bush, I voted for him for foreign policy, and I do support partially privatizing social security. But I don't like his views on social issues, though I respect the honesty with which he has presented his views. Choosing whom to vote for is complicated, sometimes.

Looney Canuck said...

I agree that it is, even when you have two and a half choices (like we in Canada used to have and what the Americans had) or multiple choices (a few more fractional parties), it seems though we don't really have a choice between good or better, just between bad and worse. Pretty sad state of affairs now, huh?

It's hard to argue, though, with the recent events in the Middle East. Perhaps a strong overt show of force is what everyone needed, and I may even decide in retrospect that the last Gulf war was the right thing to do. However, it's my sincere hope that it was done for all, or at least mostly, the right reasons. If it wasn't, it's bound to come out, and backfire against all of us.

As for TLB, I didn't mean to say that I speak for him. I don't believe that I ever written to or heard from him (except to get his code). I did use a qualifier (apparently) though. Perhaps I meant to imply that Bush has a somewhat fanatical following, although it would have been unfair to paint all Bush supporters with the same brush. Also, I realize that Bush opponents are pretty fanatical as well, but they have no one person to follow. Anyway, it was just interesting for me to see what I thought was a Bush supporter breaking ranks, at least for a moment.

Blog Archive