Thursday, April 21, 2005

Beware Of Goose And Sela!

Yesterday as I was doing my long-delayed spring cleaning, I noticed something on CBC at 4pm called "Maple Shorts". Being a fan of animation and short films, I looked forward to it in anticipation, but when I saw it, I was let down in so many ways.


It was maple leaves, maple leaves, everywhere. One of the animated hosts was a Canada goose named "Canuckles", and each short ended with a swirling maple leaf "wipe". It all just seemed to be way, way, WAY over the top and kind of reminded me of the propaganda most of us were exposed to as children. I didn't like it then and I like it even less now, and I don't think that children should be exposed to what is basically a shallower aspect of politics. While certainly we should teach them to be patriotic, we should be careful not to overdo it. Also, I do believe that it is the sort of thing that we criticize Americans for.

I should restate that I am proud to be Canadian, and will do what I can to keep Confederation together, but am also discreet about it. I don't shove my beliefs down anybody's throat and don't like people who do. Still on topic somewhat, there is a Flash animated program on CBC I do like called "Chilly Beach". It's a bit naughty at times, but I do recommend it to, well, older children who can also watch "The Simpsons".

2 comments:

Gretchen Ross said...

This has nothing to do with your post, but just wondering if you'd like to join:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/
robert.mcclelland/
bloggingnewdemocrats.html

:)

Looney Canuck said...

I respectfully decline your offer. The NDP to me represents what I consider to be the old Left, and I'm closer to the Right than I am with them. I think of the Green Party as an example of the New Left. Maybe if they merged...

Blog Archive